Monday, August 15, 2011

the power of suggestion

For those who know me, it is common knowledge that I am a shopper. I love it. The entire experience. I love being genuinely greeted, attended to, and SOLD to!
To me shopping is more than purchasing an item I need. Shopping is about discovery, and for me this discovery cannot happen without a guide. Simply put-I go into a store to get service, if I wanted to shop alone I would have just stayed in bed and ordered online.
On my last shopping trip, I was on a mission, a mission to find the perfect shoe for my wedding reception dress.
So, here I am, standing hopelessly in the midst of every type of shoe one could think of, alone, and in panic.

I walked up to the counter and one of the sales associates greeted me and asked me if she could help me. It was then that I began telling her my life story. I'm not sure why, but for some reason my vulnerability made me talkative. I explained the reception-Minneapolis, church basement style potluck in the middle of the day with all of my fiances family. I then went into how I was nervous I wouldn't find the right shoe for this dress, because
1. I didn't know what I wanted and
2. I needed to be able to wear it to work-mind you I wear mute colored sweaters and denim to work everyday and this particular dress is a Grecian inspired pleated silk maxi dress-she had her work cut out for her.

She calmly took me around to various shoes and I immediately spotted a pair of red pointed toe heels-it was love. I slipped on the floor model and they looked perfect with my jeans. She smiled knowingly and sent me to try on my dress. I knew that they were a shot in the dark-I mean red pointed toed heels with a silk gown? Yet there was something charming about the idea of a pop of color amidst layers of silk.
Upon putting on the ensemble I caught myself tearing up. I felt beautiful. I felt like a bride. I felt like me.

I composed myself and walked out of the fitting room to find that my lovely associate had to help another client, so instead I got the manager. She instantly said, those are cute, but totally wrong for your dress. Perhaps I was too composed or she took my smeared mascara to mean that the shoes had horrified me to tears, but either way I was crushed and as much as I hate to say it, embarrassed.
Had my instints taken me to a place that simply didn't make sense?

I quickly looked for a second opinion. Then another associate stepped in and brought me an assortment of satin strappy sandals. My heart began to pound-I HATE SATIN SANDALS.
I humored the two woman and listened to their thoughts-until I realized they had yet to ask me what I wanted. They never once asked me how I wanted to look or feel. It was then that I got my courage back and asked if Bridget, my previous associate, was free yet. She wasn't, so I waited.
During the waiting period my mother came storming onto the sales floor to save the day. As my mother approached, Bridget followed and they both promptly asked my thoughts.
I could feel myself tear up again, I told them, I felt perfect.
They both looked at each other, and without even speaking went to the register with the red shoes. Mission completed.

I left the store feeling exhausted, yet at ease. Then I realized that I was so close to falling victim to the power of suggestion. The other women simply saw the dress, and offered advice based on the way they would complete the outfit. This got me thinking, how many purchases have I made based soley on the suggestion of the sales associate verses its effect on my life? I guess the lesson learned here is when making an emotional purchase, be sure to have those who understand your emotions be your guide.




1 comment:

  1. so true Whimsy!! that is the difference between a good salesperson and a bad one. it takes patience and really listening to please a client - the ingredients that create the experience instead of just a mere sale. The shoes are sooo you and only you could pull them off with that dress!!!

    ReplyDelete